Working Group 1
Working Group 1 – Passive Safe Products
Working Group 1 – Posts, Bollards, Twin Amber Flashers, Belisha Beacons and ancillary products – that fall under BS EN 12767.
Chair 2023 – Suzanne Day, TMP
Vice Chair – Vacancy
The majority of the work addressed by this Working Group is centered on issues arising through the testing & compliance of products as determined in BS EN BS EN 12767 and the standards which rely on this for passive safety – including BS EN 12899 and BS 8442where applicable. The Program of work is based upon the existence of, and the need to deal with relevant issues in the following categories:
- National Highways Specifications and Technical Regulations. This includes proposed changes to Design Manual for Roads & Bridges (DMRB) and MCHW taking particular notice of the nuances of each of the devolved nations
- TOPAS Specification TOPAS 2546
- CEN, European and BSI adopted Standards.
- TSRGD 2016 & Revisions to Traffic Signs manual
Aims of WG1 Membership
- To take part in a continuous review of standards in the above categories, taking action on any documents which require revision to reflect changes in procedures, legislation, safety, and European harmonisation & implement changes across the sector accordingly
- Any document or parts of documents considered to be redundant owing to any of the above changes will be examined for consolidation or withdrawal.
- To publish guidance notes to help end customers & engineers specify the appropriate products for their needs.
Objectives for 2023
- Fully review all standards that are applicable to this Working Group & make representation to relevant HE, BSI or CEN committee responsible for implementation
- Retain membership of relevant committees where we can influence improvements to standards & make best use of the expertise of the individual members within the Highways Sector
- Ensure that all members are manufacturing & promoting products that comply with the correct standards currently in place
- Help raise awareness of the value of the ARTSM for the maintenance and development of appropriate and relevant standards across the Highways Sector
Points of Reference (Standards Applicable)
- BS EN 12767:2019
- BS EN12899-1:2007
- BS EN12899-2:2007
- BS 8442:2022
Next meeting : 24th May 2023; 5th September 2023, ** November 2023
Chair 2023: Suzanne Day, TMP ; Deputy Chair : TBC