Working Group 1
Working Group 1 – Bollards and Sign Illumination
Working Group 1 – Bollards, Twin Amber Flashers, Belisha Beacons and Sign Illumination –
Chair 2021 – Peter Diamond, Pudsey Diamond (second term)
Vice Chair – Sean Coffey
The majority of the work addressed by this Working Group is centered on issues arising through the testing & compliance of products as determined in BS EN 12899:2007 Parts 1 and 2 & also BS 8442:2015 where applicable The Program of work is based upon the existence of, and the need to deal with relevant issues in the following categories:
- Highways England Specifications and Technical Regulations (TR and MC series). This includes proposed changes to Design Manual for Roads & Bridges (DMRB) taking particular notice of the nuances of each of the devolved nations
- CEN, European and BSI adopted Standards.
- TSRGD 2016 & Revisions to Traffic Signs manual
Aims of WG1 Membership
- To take part in a continuous review of standards in the above categories, taking action on any documents which require revision to reflect changes in procedures, legislation, safety, and European harmonisation & implement changes across the sector accordingly
- Any document or parts of documents considered to be redundant owing to any of the above changes will be examined for consolidation or withdrawal.
- To publish guidance notes to help end customers & engineers specify the appropriate products for their needs.
Objectives for 2019-20
- Fully review all standards that are applicable to this Working Group & make representation to relevant HE, BSI or CEN committee responsible for implementation
- Retain membership of relevant committees where we can influence improvements to standards & make best use of the expertise of the individual members within the Highways Sector
- Ensure that all members are manufacturing & promoting products that comply with the correct standards currently in place
- Help raise awareness of the value of the ARTSM for the maintenance and development of appropriate and relevant standards across the Highways Sector
Points of Reference (Standards Applicable)
- BS EN12899-1:2007
- BS EN12899-2:2007
- BS EN 12767:2007
Next meeting : TBA (pending 8442/12767 updates)
Chair 2021: Pete Diamond (Second Term) Deputy Chair : Sean Coffey