Working Group 2
Working Group 2 – Traffic Signs
Chair 2021 – Dale Stevenson, Rennicks
Vice Chair – Mike Hope, Morelock
The work of WG2 is focused on the revisions to the most relevant Harmonised European Standard – BS EN 12899-1 – ‘Fixed Vertical Traffic Signs’; revision of BS 8442 for temporary traffic signs and an overhaul of the National Highways Sector Scheme 9.
WG 2 members are represented on the following organisations:
- European Standards working group CEN TC 226 WG3, and the UK’s mirror Committee to this group, B/509/3 within BSI. This mirror committee represents UK interests in CEN for applicable European Standards and also for National Standards.
- The Department for Transport Traffic Signs Technical Working Party; and
- The National Highway Sector Scheme 9 Sector Scheme Advisory Committee.
Aims of WG2 Membership
To implement a continuous review of applicable Standards.
- To be represented in the decision making process, assisting with the formation and revision of any legislation, design guides, safety and product Standards that may have an effect on Members’ businesses.
- To publish Guidance Notes to help end customers, members and specifier ensure appropriate products are supplied.
Objectives for 2020-21
- Fully review all standards that are applicable to this Working Group & make representation to relevant HE, BSI or CEN committee responsible for implementation.
- Maintain membership of relevant committees where we can influence improvements to standards & make best use of the expertise of the individual members within the Highways Sector.
- Ensure that all members are manufacturing & promoting products that comply with the correct standards currently in place.
Points of Reference (Standards Applicable)
- BS EN 13422:2004+A1:2009 Vertical road signs. Portable deformable warning devices and delineators. Portable road traffic signs. Cones and cylinders
- BS EN 12966-1:2005 Road vertical signs. Variable message traffic signs. Product standard
- BS EN 12899:2007 Fixed, vertical road traffic signs . All parts
- BS 8442:2015 Miscellaneous road traffic signs and devices. Requirements and test methods
- BS 8408:2005 Road traffic signs. Testing and performance of microprismatic retroreflective sheeting materials. Specification.
Next Meetings : 14/7/21; 13/10/21
Chair: Dale Stephenson, Rennicks (first Term) Deputy Chair : Mike Hope, Morelock